Western Red Cedar deck rebuild

Chris Sears · Aug 25, 2020, 09:43

Hi - I recently rebuilt half of the lower surface of a western red cedar deck due to moisture issues in several joists. This led to replacing the top boards as well. I'm looking for options in finishing the new wood while trying to best colour match to the existing cedar. While there is little protective coating in the existing wood as you can see from the picture it is quite dark. At a minimum I know I need to clean/brighten the existing wood. Should I consider two different colour options - one for the old wood, one for the new? Thank you.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 25, 2020, 13:35

Hi,

Thanks for joining the forum!

As your new deck is freshly finished you will have to wait 4 - 6 weeks for the wood to dry before applying a finish. The humidity level needs to be below 15%.

The older part of the deck should be washed with a wood cleaner.
Such as the wood Cleaner & Brightener by Finico.

If the new deck changes color within that time frame, then you would also wash with the wood cleaner.

Then you would sand both decks and choose a finishing product that matches your existing color. We would suggest the Pareo Zero by Prato Verde. Samples are available for color testing.

Hope this helps!

Chris Sears · Aug 25, 2020, 20:54

Thank you, Marilyn. After cleaning and light sanding I have a feeling the existing boards will be quite dark as they have been stained 4 or 5 times. Would it make sense, potentially, to use the Pareo Zero colourless on the old wood, and a matching (likely medium oak) on the new wood? Thanks.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 26, 2020, 09:33

HI,

It is important to thoroughly clean. Once that is done send us a picture and we shall be able to advise accordingly.

We do not recommend using colorless as it does not protect against the UV rays.

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français