What went wrong?

Jean Dyer · Apr 3, 2020, 23:21

I’ve been using/experimenting with the spray can Clear gloss finish on my woodturnings. So far I have had great success. But something went wrong today and I’m not sure why. The attached picture will show my woodturned platter. It’s about 11’ wide in Cherry. I sprayed a coat of the vinyl sealer over the platter once I had finished the texturing and colouring. I let it sit for almost 24hrs and then applied a coat of the clear gloss guitar tone finish. I didn’t notice it at the time due to the wet look, and possibly my lighting, but once it dried I could see white blotchy patches in some areas. It was quite bad in the center of the platter but I was able to put it back on the lathe, sand out and re-finish the centre. But I’m unable to do that with the rim as I fear I will completely mess it up. Any idea what went wrong? Is it me?
I made very sure than the can, which was almost full, was very well shaken before use. Is there an additive in the lacquer that would cause this? Thanks for your help.
If you tap on the picture it will open it up and you can see what I’m on about.
Jean

Marilyn · Technical Support · Apr 6, 2020, 13:54

Hi Jean,

This is what’s called blushing. That’s when humidity gets trapped under the film.

The solution is to spray with the No Blush Plus Retarder Aerosol by Mohawk and leave completely dry in a dust free environment.

Drying time is long as it takes awhile for the humidity to dissipate.

Hope this helps!

Jean Dyer · Apr 6, 2020, 13:58

Ah, so that’s it! Thanks so much. I will get some the next time I put in an order.

Jean Dyer · Apr 14, 2020, 22:37

Very disappointed that I have now got ‘Blushing’ on a woodturned piece after using the vinyl sealer. 🤬
The wood was bone dry, my shop heated to plus 20 and the can shaken for at least 2 minutes and using light coats. This is very frustrating when it occurs on delicate art work that I cannot sand anymore due to the embellishments.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Apr 15, 2020, 15:46

Hi,
The product is not the issue it’s the humidity in the air!

Blushing is relative to the dew point! It can happen with all finishing products except for Shellacs or water-based products.

Therefore, the simple solution is the No Blush Retarder by Mohawk!

There are several explanations as to why blushing happens. Here is a YouTube link https://youtu.be/GbzqEou4t-k of an explanation.

Blushing can occur when the wood humidity and/or the air temperature of the room/shop are close to the dew point.

Hope this helps!

Jean Dyer · Apr 15, 2020, 23:41

Thank you Marilyn. I have just placed an order for a can of the No Blush Retarder.
Jean

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français