Michelle · Jan 25, 2021, 19:34

Hello,

We're completing a renovation project, and I've decided to re-stain the stairs before we move in in a month. I've actually almost done the rough sanding.

It's 13 stairs total and we're doing both the tops and rises. We are pretty sure it's maple.

I think I have a preference for water-based stain due to smells, and ease of cleaning. We'd choose a reddy-brown stain.

I know I need a pre-stain (as maple), a stain, and a water-based top-coat. Could you help me with amounts as well as products for a staircase? Which is the best for water-based products? Is it best to just accept the dings - or is there a filler you recommend that would likely absorb similarly to the stain?

Thanks,
Michelle

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jan 26, 2021, 10:50

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for contacting Ardec!

General Finishes has a Water Based Pre-Stain Conditioner and a Water Based Wood Stain that would suit your needs.

Then you can apply the Aqua Play 1 by Vermeister to protect and seal.

As for the amounts required, one litre each of the Pre-Stain and Wood stain will be sufficient. The Aqua Play is only sold in 3.78L format.

Hope this helps!

Michelle · Jan 26, 2021, 12:03

Thank you!

Would General Finishes Endo-Var in 1 L be enough instead? Is it not as good as the Aqua Play?

Also - your experience with filler?

Thanks,
Michelle

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jan 26, 2021, 16:03

Hi,

Sorry I don't understand your question about filler. If your stairs are made of Maple wood filler is not required.

Enduro-Var will not be resistant enough for stairs.

Michelle · Jan 26, 2021, 17:01

Thank you for your help! Order placed!

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français