Refinishing barn floors naturally

MelG · Jun 6, 2020, 20:06

I'm interested in a natural finish for my floors. I am renovating a 100 year old barn into a home for myself and my two children and want to keep it as natural as possible. I'm thinking of your hemp oil. Is it 100% hemp oil? Can it stand up to abuse from children? Thank you :-)
I would also be looking for a product that could be used on the pine tongue and groove I've done on the wall and ceiling, hopefully the same product.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jun 8, 2020, 12:02

Thanks for contacting Ardec!

Hemp oil is a possibility. Yes, it is 100% hemp oil without any additives. We do not usually recommend hemp oil as it is not very resistant. You would have to reapply frequently.

For a natural finish we would suggest using Tung Oil by Finico. The first two coats would have to be diluted 50/50 with Citrus Solvent. Then you would apply 2 – 3 more coats of the Tung Oil alone.

The Tung Oil can also be used on your walls and ceilings. 2 coats of the Tung oil diluted with the Citrus Solvent for the ceiling and for the walls, 1 coat diluted and 1 coat of Tung Oil alone.

Hope this helps!

MelG · Jun 10, 2020, 10:21

Thank you, the tung oil is completely natural? Could you please explain why it needs to be cut with the citrus solvent.

MelG · Jun 10, 2020, 10:37

How about using a wax?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jun 10, 2020, 13:17

Hi,

The Tung oil needs to be diluted to penetrate wood better. By diluting in the two first coats there will be a better oil absorption and additional coats can be applied pure.

There is no need to wax if floors are well oiled.

MelG · Jun 12, 2020, 15:05

Ya I meant how about a wax instead of oil? Someone suggested beeswax to me.

MelG · Jun 12, 2020, 15:07

And I asked if the tung oil is completely natural. Is it food safe?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jun 12, 2020, 16:05

The Finico Tung Oil is natural and 100% pure.

It can be used on food surfaces, such as kitchen counters, cutting boards, tables and wooden toys.

Waxed floors require a lot of maintenance.

Hope this answers your questions!

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français