Shellac over Osmo?

Steven Blake · Jan 25, 2021, 22:55

Hi, I’ve been making shaving brush handles and am still working out the best finish. I have used dilute marine varnish but haven’t been entirely satisfied with the finish. It tends to still show an uneven surface even though brush marks are not there.

I’ve also used Osmo oil in multiple coats. It looks really nice and I hope it’s going to stand up but I’d really like to have a high gloss look and I understand that Osmo’s high gloss product is not approved for Canada

So the question is this, can I use a couple of coats of ultra blond shellac mixed in a 1 pound cut over top of the Osmo? Will it adhere? Will it add a higher gloss to the finish?

Thanks

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jan 26, 2021, 13:44

HI,

Thanks for contacting the forum.

Shellac can not be applied on and oil and wax coating it would not adhere properly nor would it be resistant enough.

Perhaps you should think about using the UVpoxy Clear Coating Epoxy by Ecopoxy for a high gloss finish.

Hope this helps!

Steven Blake · Feb 1, 2021, 09:11

Thank you. I ordered some and would like to ask if you have some advice regarding application onto small turnings? I assume that whatever applicator is used can’t be cleaned out and is a single use.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Feb 1, 2021, 14:40

Hi,

It might be best to contact us by phone or via email for more detailed information for your specific needs.

Also, it's important that you know that UVPoxy can't be applied over oils or waxes.

Kind regards,

[None] · Feb 9, 2021, 16:37

[Deleted by the author]

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français