Peel Away 1 resulting in unwanted finish

Alex G · Jul 31, 2022, 17:18

We’ve used a can of Peel Away 1 to varying degrees of success. We found that we had over a hundred years of white paint covering our wood trim. During our test peels was that there must have been a faux wood print. Shame I know. The residue must have been some sort of shellac mixed with linseed paint and oil covering a light pink background.

After a bit of trial in our method I’m left with this surface.

The moulding on the header of the opening I chose not to wipe down. And was left with the surface as shown. The sides of the opening have been wiped down and not sanded.

How can I fix this before my partner asks why I even tried? Thanks.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 8, 2022, 11:24

Hi,

We suggest trying an abrasive pad in green such as the Siavlies - 6120 Non-Woven Abrasive with the Smart Strip - Advanced Paint Remover. Then the sanding can be done.

Hope this helps!

Alex G · Aug 16, 2022, 19:52

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for your reply. I've ordered said products and I must say that i Should have went with the Advanced Paint Remover in the first place. The abrasive pads you recommended are working wonderfull.

Even with the remover using the pad the surface of the baseboard was still mottled patten. We ended up painting back white, Some of the ogee trim on the top has some of the same mottled patten. I hope it works itself out with a little more refinishing and staining.

Alex G · Aug 24, 2022, 11:24

Hi Marilyn,

Just wondering if I should try some oxalic acid to work out some of the staining. I’ve been reading up about the use. I’m just curious what you might recommend to restore the woods colour. The Ogee and Casing trim is Douglas fir if that helps.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 24, 2022, 11:46

Hi,

Oxalic acid will only work on bare wood.

Alex G · Aug 24, 2022, 12:46

I should have asked with a picture. The wood is bare. The Stringer was treated with smart strip and the baseboard was finished with the Peel Away 1.

Would using oxalic acid on the top of the trim even out some of the blotchyness?
If it bleaches the wood what can I do to bring back it’s natural colour?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 24, 2022, 14:31

Please send us a picture and we will take a look.

Alex G · Aug 24, 2022, 16:24

Apologize problems uploading first time.

[None] · Aug 25, 2022, 06:14

[Deleted by a moderator]

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 25, 2022, 09:11

Hi,

The stairs are beautiful!

Oxalic Acid might work but we can't guarantee that it will.

Sorry!

Alex G · Aug 25, 2022, 09:39

Thank you Marilyn,
We think so as well. I’ll give it a go. I’m planning on using shellac as a finish. Would you recommend oiling the wood prior with something like a linseed or hemp oil before using the flakes?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 25, 2022, 10:43

No, it is not necessary.

[None] · Sep 6, 2022, 01:06

[Deleted by a moderator]

Alex G · Sep 14, 2022, 17:22

Hi Marilyn,

After a lot of soaking I’ve had great results with the oxalic acid. I’m finally starting to wrap up prep. For the woodwork. How would you recommend painting the scroll work on the stringers? I’d hate to mess up all that hard work stripping the paint.

Freehand seems risky and Masking with tape seems tedious. Are there any ways to apply the paint or masking without the labourious work?

I’ll send some pictures soon.

[None] · Sep 15, 2022, 02:26

[Deleted by a moderator]

Marilyn · Technical Support · Sep 15, 2022, 09:53

Hi Alex,

Your best bet is free hand with a really good paint brush and patience.

Yes please send us pictures!

[None] · Sep 15, 2022, 10:34

[Deleted by the author]

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français