Restore a 1980s Deck

Tony · Aug 17, 2023, 09:49

Hello, I have a 550 SF covered deck built in the early to mid 1980s. It looks like they used a solid paint, over pressure treated wood. It is starting to peel and flake (see photo) and I am getting told different things to do. Some say to take a deck sander to the whole thing, others say to use a chemical stripper, clean then stain, and another told me to just feather out peeling areas, and then cover the existing paint with a water based solid color stain. Any thoughts on what method would work and products to use? Thank You.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 17, 2023, 11:54

Hi,

All will depend on what you wish to use as a finish.

Stains will not be the same as paints.

What do you want as a finish?

Tony · Aug 17, 2023, 13:24

Hello Marilyn, we know that we like the solid finish, and it has lasted many years. So a solid paint would be fine, but if it's easier we could do a solid stain. Thank you for your help - I am new to working with wood, and this site and forum are so informative!

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 17, 2023, 13:44

Hi Tony,

If you wish to paint, you will have to consult with a paint consultant as we only offer stains and oils.

If you are looking to apply a stain or oil you will have to strip off all of the old finish then sand before applying a new product.

If you wish to stain with oil or oil emulsions, then we can help guide you. There is a very interesting article on our Blog on how to restore and finish decks/patios. It would be beneficial to look at it.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tony · Aug 17, 2023, 14:43

Thank you Marilyn - what a great article! It helped me with a number of future projects too! Would decking oils or the oil emulsions be suitable for a new wood dock (over water) made from pressure treated wood? They sound interesting, better slip protection, and easy to maintain.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 17, 2023, 14:54

It is usually recommended to wait 6 - 8 weeks before treating pressure treated wood.

The Oil emulsions would work for your covered dock.

[None] · Aug 19, 2023, 00:23

[Deleted by a moderator]

[None] · Aug 19, 2023, 01:35

[Deleted by a moderator]

[None] · Aug 28, 2023, 04:23

[Deleted by a moderator]

[None] · Sep 3, 2023, 02:39

[Deleted by a moderator]

[None] · Sep 20, 2023, 22:41

[Deleted by a moderator]

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français