Best Oil for Hardwood Floor Maintenance

Gusto35 · Feb 28, 2024, 13:21

I'm looking for some advice regarding old hardwood floor maintenance. I'm working with a 100 year old oak hardwood floor. The boards are only 3/8" thick. They have been sanded over the years and can no longer be sanded because to do so would expose the nails that hold the boards in place. Most of the floor still has a polyurethane finish intact and looks decent. There are areas where the polyurethane finish has been scrapped off in high traffic areas or under a table. I would like to avoid using any polyurethane products and discovered this website devoted to using oils. I simply want to cover the bare wood areas and try as much as possible to match the finish with the polyurethane finish elsewhere. In the article, "Finishing or restoring interior wood floors with oil" (https://ardec.ca/en/blog/31/finishing-or-restoring-interior-wood-floors-with-oil#what-is-the-best-product-for-finishing-my-oiled-floor) several products are discussed including, Uno and Secondo oils, from Prato-Verde, Osmo Polyx-Oil, Rubio Monocoat as well as traditional Linseed and Tung oils. My gut suggests the Osmo Polyx-Oil may be the best choice for my situation but I'm interested to hear if you have an opinion on what I should use.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Feb 28, 2024, 14:31

Hi,

We do not recommend spot touch-ups using oil products on a floor that has an older polyurethane finish. It just isn't feasible.

You floor will not be uniform finish or look very good.

The only product that might work is the Bona AmberSeal followed by the Bona Mega but we can not guarantee the outcome.

Kind Regards,

[None] · Mar 13, 2024, 14:13

[Deleted by a moderator]

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français