Wood Turning Finish with Emtech

Eric Hansen · Dec 8, 2022, 23:52

In regards to the product EM9300 Polycarbonate Urethane, is this the best final finish for a bowl or art hollow vessel?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Dec 9, 2022, 09:21

Hi,

We would normally suggest using oils such as the Osmo products. The Chopping Board Oil 3099 would work very well.

Ecopoxy UVpoxy Clear Coating is another option, however if the vessels are for hot liquids this may not be the right choice.

Hope this helps!

Eric Hansen · Dec 9, 2022, 10:03

I also use a homemade beeswax that includes diatomaceous earth, linseed oil, and mineral oil and a shellac mixed with isopropyl alcohol. I would use my shellac then one of these products you recommended then my beeswax mix?

Thanks

Marilyn · Technical Support · Dec 9, 2022, 10:37

Is this for a decorative project or will you be using the vessels?

Eric Hansen · Dec 9, 2022, 11:54

For all turnings I make I assume they either art or a miscellaneous bowl/platter for items. But I would like my finished pieces to have a durable water resistant high gloss finish.

Here's a red cedar platter about 16 inches diameter that I put a shellac on it than a beeswax. But it's still quite a dull natural finish.

Eric

Marilyn · Technical Support · Dec 9, 2022, 12:49

Beautiful bowl!

The UVPoxy would be a good option as it is glossy and it can also be polish. However, it needs to be compatible with the shellac otherwise there will be issues.

By using the UVPoxy you wouldn't need any other product.

If you wish to use the shellac and beeswax there is not really any product that will adhere to the beeswax.

Hope this helps!

Eric Hansen · Dec 9, 2022, 13:48

Okay so if I sand my piece down to a Grit 240 then use my shellac, then the UVPoxy and then I could use my beeswax or I cannot? Once the UVPoxy seals it will have a glossy finish. And I will have to decide to not use my beeswax as a finish is what your saying? Is there an ingredient that I can add into my beeswax compound to have a shiny finish?

Thanks for all the info.

[None] · Dec 24, 2022, 10:47

[Deleted by a moderator]

Nia jax · Dec 29, 2022, 04:55

nice

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français