+/- 100 year old Canadian pine “refectory” table

Winston · Jan 20, 2022, 14:23

I am going to refinish the 4 surface planks (legs and skirt are fine). I will remove the current varnish finish (about 30/40 years old) with a gel type paint remover (Record). I will hand sand very lightly (120?) and add two coats (three if there is a lot of absorption of the first)of Bona Mega oxygen cross linking formula (satin or semi-gloss). The goal is a tough, forgiving film that won’t break when a fork is dropped on it and won’t mind a hot cup of coffee.
White pine is very soft, the table surface is not glass smooth and has knots and dings and square nail heads showing. I want to maintain this original surface with all its character and evidence of long use. I am not planning to use a sealer or stain as your product above has a “light amber tone” and should just enhance the natural honey tones of the pine. Am I on the right track here?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jan 20, 2022, 17:46

Hi,

Yes! You got it!

Kind Regards,

Winston · Jan 21, 2022, 07:16

Is the Bona Mega product mentioned above available in a greater Montréal bricks and mortar location?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Jan 21, 2022, 09:23

Hi,

We are an online retailer with no points of sale. For this reason I do not know if this is available else where.

Sorry!

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français