Satin Finishes

Nigel Osborne · Mar 5, 2020, 16:35

I build custom electric guitars. I typically use Mohawk Instrument Lacquer when working towards a high-gloss finish. However, I also wish to offer my customers a "satin" finish option. I do have a water-based satin finish that I can use on bodies and necks. But, I have been told by other makers not to use water-based finishes on necks for stability reasons. What are my options for a non-water based solution to achieve a good, durable satin finish?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Mar 6, 2020, 09:15

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for contacting Ardec!

In order to offer you the best possible options we need to know how you apply your products. Do you use aerosol or a spray gun system?

Please let us know and we shall see what the options are.

Kind Regards,

Nigel Osborne · Mar 6, 2020, 10:52

I use an HVLP spray system (approx. 35-40 psi) and a 0.8mm nozzle.
Thanks.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Mar 6, 2020, 11:09

In that case we can suggest the FINISHER'S CHOICE™ CLEAR LACQUER - SATIN 40 SHEEN 73.95$ for 3.78L by Mohawk.

This is not a stock item but we can get it as a special order. Estimated delivery is 4 - 6 weeks.

If you wish to order this product please call us at 1-888-797-4344.

Kind Regards,
Marilyn

Nigel Osborne · Mar 9, 2020, 11:56

Thanks! In the last few days I've learned that one of the finishes I really wish to emulate is a "hand-rubbed, polyurethane satin finish". Frankly, I think I would prefer a hand-rubbed and applied finish vs. a spray. What do you have in this type?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Mar 9, 2020, 12:08

Hi Nigel,

There is the Finish-Up by Mohawk and Arm-R-Seal by General Finishes can also be be an option.

Hope this help!

Nigel Osborne · Mar 9, 2020, 12:37

Thanks again Marilyn! Just ordered the 473ml satin. Your out of the 976ml. IF this works really well will order the larger can.

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français