Osmo anti slip decking oil turns cloudy

JOEL MONGEON · Aug 28, 2022, 22:45

Hello,
Last year I sanded my deck to bare wood and applied Osmo Rosewood decking oil as a base coat then Osmo anti slip decking oil as a topcoat. This spring the deck looked cloudy and dirty. Even after using deck cleaner it looked cloudy once dry.
I bought a new can of Osmo anti slip decking oil and refreshed the deck. It looked new again for a while. Then we had our yard landscaped and the dust from cutting patio stones has made the deck look cloudy again.
Is the anti slip oil just not the right topcoat for Osmo Rosewood? What would you suggest for a longer lasting look? We love how the Rosewood looks when wet or freshly applied.

JOEL MONGEON · Aug 29, 2022, 08:46

Here is a photo showing the anti slip on the deck and regular osmo decking oil topcoat on the hand railing. The handrail looks new but the deck looks cloudy even though they were redone at the same time this year.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 29, 2022, 13:46

Hi,

I have contacted Osmo to see if they have any insight on the matter.

I will get back to you shortly.

Kind regards,

Marilyn · Technical Support · Aug 30, 2022, 11:32

Hi,

After consulting with Osmo Canada this is what we found out for you.

According to Osmo Canada, the applications look properly applied. When one considers the use of the Anti Slip Decking Oil 430 it functions by a physical texture that is added to the coating. That texture does great in terms of leaving a surface that is not slippery, but it will also grab dirt and debris more readily than a surface without it. This is accentuated by the fact that the deck is stained such a dark colour with the Decking Oil 1276 Rosewood.

This is a situation where the coating is intact and functioning as it should, but it is a hard trade off as having a clear layer with texture over a colour will show more dirt.

Typically Osmo only recommends the Anti Slip Decking Oil 430 for around pool decks and on stairs. Although it can be used on an entire deck it doesn't seem to be overly necessary as long as clients only sand the deck to 80-100 grit.

As you mentioned that you are really happy with the Decking Oil 1276 Rosewood on its own, it's just the anti-slip that is causing them the trouble. Osmo recommends allowing the Anti Slip Decking Oil 430 to wear off of the deck and subsequently maintaining the Decking Oil 1276 layer. This will make cleaning and maintenance less frequent than with the anti slip overtop of it and should rectify the problem. To speed this process up and keep the deck looking as good as possible in the interim Osmo suggests that you should continue to wash it with the Decking Cleaner periodically until the anti slip is gone and it is ready for a maintenance coat with the Decking Oil 1276.

Hope this helps!

JOEL MONGEON · Aug 30, 2022, 11:36

That was very helpful thanks.
I'm glad I can just switch to another Osmo oil for a topcoat and do not need to sand back down to bare wood.
I'll use up the rest of the anti slip oil at my parents pool deck. I'll also keep cleaning with the decking cleaner I have.

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français