Shellac mixture for HVLP

Shawn Schneider · Oct 3, 2018, 03:37

Is there any solid advice I can get about the proper mixing ratio to spray a smooth even sheen on shellac?

My customer ordered flakes and disolved them in Klean strip denatured ALC. I have had various problems ranging from orange peel to a kind of blistering at the edges of my spray pattern when I make my second pass. I kind of feel like I need to make my mix thinner but I don't know how much is too thin. I say that because I did thin it quite a bit and The only problem I had was the sheen seemed a bit faint in some areas.

Is there a good system anyone has to mix for HVLP???? a viscosity cup size? (HOME MADE?)

I heard about using better alchohol to help slow drying time and adding SHELLAC-WET.

EASY ADVICE APPRECIATED!!!! LOL

René Carrier · Technical Support · Oct 3, 2018, 10:51

Hello,

The safety data sheet of Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol mentions that it contains less than 50% ethanol. 85% or more is recommended to dilute shellac.

Here’s our recommandations to prepare the shellac:
https://ardec.ca/en/wiki/2/shellac-flakes-preparation-and-application

Shawn Schneider · Oct 3, 2018, 22:56

OK thank you for that information. I think you're saying 85% clean strip DE natured alcohol mixed with the flakes correct? The problem I have is I'm not totally sure what she mixed it at because some of the flakes were crushed some of the flakes were just big flakes out of the bag, so the ratio was different. Is there some piece of equipment that can tell us if the dilution rate is correct? I heard about viscosity cups which one would I use to find out if the fluidity is correct for an HVLP system?
Thank you very much for any help. I am stuck on the moon with no way back to earth. Lol!!! I know that's quite the dilemma but I'm truly stuck

René Carrier · Technical Support · Oct 4, 2018, 11:22

I meant to say that Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol is not a good solvent for shellac because there is not enough ethanol in it. The Klean Strip Green Denatured Alcohol is ok to use:
http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/green-denatured-alcohol

You have to use a good quality alcohol (with more than 85% ethanol), make sure all the flakes are well dissolved and thoroughly filter the mixture before application.

There are viscosity cups for measuring the viscosity of lacquers, but not for shellacs.

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français