Live edge furniture

Glen · Mar 29, 2020, 10:48

I am building furniture using red pine 'chicot' (dead wood, dried standing with no bark) . It is a beautifull grain, reddish tint, has been air-dried for 2 years since cutting in addition. There are some cracks and gouges along the grain. I was thinking of of using a wood hardener then filling the cracks and gouges with Ecotrowel, tinted and then verathane the sanded surface. Is this ok ? Is Ecotrowel the right product for that ? What tint is recomended for Ecotrowel ?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Mar 30, 2020, 11:47

Hi Glen,

The EcoTrowel is beige in color and is a good wood filler.

However the FlowCast by Ecopoxy could also be used.

Kind Regards,

Glen · Mar 30, 2020, 12:12

Thanks Marilyn, but it does not answer if the Eco Trowel can be tinted and if so, what tint would you recommend ?
If I use Flowcast, would it be the same tint ?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Mar 30, 2020, 15:26

HI,

So sorry about that!

Yes EcoTrowel can be tinted with the Color Pigment by Ecopoxy . However it will be a bit of a challenge as it is a thick product to work with.

It is difficult for us to suggest a color as we can't see the wood you want to match it to. You will have to do some testing to get the color you want.

Might we suggest using a Epoxy Putty-Stick by Mohawk? A variety of colors that might be easier to match with your wood. It will also be easier to work with.

If you can wait, we will be introducing new products within the next couple weeks which might be better suited for your projet.

Hope this helps!

Glen · Mar 30, 2020, 16:18

Thanks, I think it does. I am not trying to match the colour, but rather make a contrast. Since the wood is light with a reddish tint, I wanted to make the filler dark brown or even black which looks good on old wood. So the pigment would mix better with flowcast ?

Marilyn · Technical Support · Mar 31, 2020, 09:30

Hi Glen,

Yes the Color Pigment for Epoxy by Ecopoxy would work with the FlowCast

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français