Refinishing a kiaat wood dining table. Total newbie here.

Elise N. · Feb 24, 2021, 17:30 · Last edit: Feb 24, 2021, 17:45

Hi!

I found a dining table on Kijiji. It was listed as South African teak and a brief search into the original retailer suggests it's solid kiaat wood. Measures about 71"L x 35"W x 30"H.

I'm looking to refinish it to remove surface blemishes (stains, pen marks, scratches, etc.) Trying to stock all necessary supplies now before the project starts up in the driveway during springtime.

Have a Makita 5-inch random orbit sander and Mirka Abranet sanding discs in 80, 120 and 220 grits. (100, 150 and 180 required?)

Still to come:

• Odorless Thinner by Finico as the mineral spirits wipe once sanding is complete?

• Was recommended Rubio Monocoat as a finishing product. Browsing Ardec's selection, Osmo Polyx-Oil Clear (Matte or Satin) is a contender. Odie's Oil too. Definitely leaning towards a hard wax oil finish, pure or clear. (However, open to a walnut or other stain to reflect more the colour seen in last photo of assembled table in different lighting. Less red tones, more of a black walnut look.)

Open to any suggestions and guidance on the full road to refinishing and all required products! From rags, foam brushes, card scrapers to finishes and maintenance products!

P.S. My first order with Ardec was delivered in record time! Love navigating your website, the user experience, forum and total online shopping experience! Merci pour tout!

Marilyn · Technical Support · Feb 25, 2021, 13:22

Hi,

We would recommend sanding with 80 grit to start then 100 grit, 120 grit finishing with a 150-grit paper.

Once the sanding is done you apply 1 coat of the Osmo Oil Stain and then 2 coats of the Osmo Polyx-Oil in the satin sheen. Can be applied with the Oil Finish Applicator and Hand Pad Holder

Your table will be like new!

For daily cleaning we recommend using the Osmo Spray Cleaner and for regular maintenance the Liquid Wax Cleaner Spray also by Osmo 2 to 3 times a year.

Hope this help!

Elise N. · Feb 26, 2021, 18:14

Salut Marilyn,

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Q: Approximately, how many sanding discs of each grit might a project of this size require?

Merci!
E

Marilyn · Technical Support · Mar 1, 2021, 12:01

Approximatey 5 of each grit.

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français