Outdoor slab benchtop

JOEL MONGEON · Oct 6, 2022, 17:22

My wife and I picked out a live edge slab of walnut to be used as an outdoor bench. I am going to route a channel underneath so that it will mate with an armor stone we already have outside and will be attaching with some PL adhesive.

My question is what kind of finish do you recommend for this application? At the lumber store they recommended a few coats of Osmo 420 clear satin.

Attached is the slab as we got it from the lumber supplier.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Oct 7, 2022, 09:29

Hi,

The Osmo UV-Protection Oil is not recommended for horizontal surfaces. If this table will be completey protected from the weather elements then it may be an option.

We would recommend using the Osmo Decking Oil instead. If the table is unprotected from the weather elements it is also recommended to choose with a color pigment as it's the color pigments that protect from the harmful UV rays.

A little tip, make sure your slab is completely dry before applying any type of finish.

Hope this helps!

JOEL MONGEON · Oct 7, 2022, 09:35

Thank you for the reply.

It will be unprotected. It is also not a table but a bench to sit on. So it will see a lot of wear.

Marilyn · Technical Support · Oct 7, 2022, 10:29

So sorry!

I misread. I would highly recommend the Osmo Decking Oil. Samples sizes are available for color testing.

Kind Regards,

[None] · Dec 5, 2022, 08:52

[Deleted by a moderator]

Terms of Sales · Privacy · Cookies · En français