- Sand and prepare floor using accepted industry association methods.
- For a stained floor, make your final cut with 80 to 100-grit paper, then multidisc with 80 to 120-grit paper. For an unstained floor, make your final cut with 80 to 120-grit paper, then multidisc with 120 to 150-grit paper. This burnishing will reduce the amount of grain raise.
- Use a Tampico Brush on a buffer and vacuum thoroughly.
- Tack with a dry Bona® Microfiber Cleaning Pad or cloth.
- Apply Bona Finishing system.
THE BONA NORDICSEAL FINISH SYSTEM
Apply 1-2 coats of Bona NordiclSeal and 2 coats of a Bona waterborne finish. Bona NordicSeal contains white pigment and is not recommended to be used over stain. Bona NordicSeal minimizes side bonding and grain raise, provides a build layer and prevents the finish from penetrating into the wood surface. Visit bona.com for additional product
NOTE: Use a clean applicator for sealer and a separate clean applicator for finish.
SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING. DO NOT THIN. As a best practice, double strain the finish by wrapping a fine mesh paint strainer or nylons around the supplied filter. Insert into bottle and trim off any excess material.
- Pour a 6˝- wide line of sealer along the starting wall. Go with the grain of the wood.
- Using a pre-dampened Bona floor coater, draw the floor coater forward with the grain of the wood, moving the finish toward the opposite wall. To maintain a wet edge at all times, hold the floor coater at a snowplow angle.
- At the end of each run, turn the floor coater and pull it toward you through the puddle; then pad out the floor coater parallel to the wet edge.
- Feather out all turns. Do not push too hard or too fast to avoid drips flying off the floor coater.
- BE SURE YOU ARE USING THE RECOMMENDED COVERAGE OF 400-500 SQ. FT. PER GALLON. DO NOT SPREAD TOO THIN. Uneven coverage can cause blotchhiness or color variance. Certain species may require a second coat to achieve desired appearance.
- Allow the first coat to dry 2-3 hours. High humidity and/or low temperature conditions will extend the dry time (recommended conditions of 65-80˚F/40-60% relative humidity).
- For smoothest results before final coat, see Intercoat Abrasion. At a minimum between
coats, vacuum and tack thoroughly with a Bona Microfiber Cleaning Pad (dry or slightly dampened with water).
It is not necessary to abrade Bona NordicSeal unless more than 48 hours has passed since the previous coat was applied. However, for smoothest results, abrade Bona NordicSeal using 1-2 (stacked) Bona Conditioning Pads and 1-2 Bona Diamond 180 to 240 grit abrasives. Thoroughly clean abraded floor using Bona PowerScrubber OR vacuum and tack with Bona Microfiber Cleaning Pads (dry or slightly dampened with water).
Tip: After abrading Bona NordicSeal, wet tack the floor to highlight areas where the abrasive may have burned through the sealer. A second application of Bona NordicSeal may be necessary to cover up burns before application of a Bona waterborne finish.
Application tools should be thoroughly cleaned with water and stored in an airtight container.